Wednesday 29 June 2016

Knowing when to stop!

I must say that I am an absolute bugger for over-doing it and not knowing when to stop!

Friends and family will always nag me to slow down, rest and take some time out but I just love the buzz of being busy, training hard and keeping on. From the moment my eyes open in the morning, I get up, drink some Aloe and that's me, I am on it right up until bedtime.

I am sure this is pretty common, having a busy life is fulfilling and makes you feel that you have achieved something rather than just existing day after day but its the 'knowing when my body is telling me to stop' bit that I really must pay attention to. You see, and I know I have mentioned it before, I am a tough old cookie and often live life thinking that I am indestructible and to be honest that attitude has always served me pretty well.

During my training session this morning, I was working really hard. I always try to better myself as I need a challenge. I record my 'max-out' times and thrive to improve on them daily but this morning when I maxed out right near the end of the session, as I stopped what I was doing to a quick slurp of water before getting back to it again, I stopped and paid attention to my body.  Not only was my heart rate through the roof but I could kind of feel my heart pumping through my head!! and it was fast! With a very sweaty and heart-pounding head, for the first time, I got scared. I had to actually completely stop and recover.



It was at that moment, as I was leaning over our dinning table to slow things down and watching the sweat dripping from my nose, that I thought of what could have happened if I didn't listen to my body screaming to me to just stop. The silly thing is that I already know how easy it is for us MSers to over heat and have no doubt that this would end in my keeling over or goodness knows what else, so I should never have let myself get to that point. 

Its not all about me anymore, I am a mother of 2 gorgeous boys and I must keep telling myself that. If I harmed myself what on earth would happen to them?
So lesson learned, I got scared, addressed it and gave myself a big slap on the back of the hand! Naughty (but very much ok from the episode) Gemma!

No comments:

Post a Comment